Elsa and Anna the Koala Celebrate Valentine’s Day

Posted By : The Animal Facts Editorial Team

Date: February 12, 2021 9:10 pm

elsa and anna valentines day Australian Reptile Park

Elsa and Anna the koala with their valentine’s day themed enrichment at the Australian Reptile Park

Photo Credit: The Australian Reptile Park

Superstar koalas Anna and Elsa have enjoyed some Valentine’s Day themed enrichment and lots of loving from keepers ahead of Anna’s first ever valentine’s day on Sunday. Elsa is a viral superstar with videos of her amassing over 50 million views across multiple social media platforms.

Elsa and Anna were treated to kisses and cuddles from staff all day along with being gifted beautiful bouqets of roses.

elsa and anna valentines day Australian Reptile Park

Elsa and Anna the koala with their valentine’s day themed enrichment at the Australian Reptile Park

Photo Credit: The Australian Reptile Park

Elsa the koala became well known when her mom was unfortunately unable to produce milk to feed her. Keeper’s intervened and koala whisperer and Australian Reptile Park keeper, Hayley Shute took on the role of surrogate mother for her.

Since her rescue Anna has thrived and grown to now be a perfect little koala.

Anna the koala was was born last year to Elsa’s mother Irene. Just like their namesakes from Disney’s movie Frozen the pair are beloved sisters and have a special bond.

— AD —

Mammal Keeper Hewin Hochkins says, “Happy Valentine’s Day! We had so much fun showering Elsa and Anna with love this morning. They are both the most affectionate koalas we have had the pleasure of working with, they just love cuddles! I loved giving them roses this morning and giving them lots of attention for an early Valentine’s Day!”

 

Hochkins continues, “It’s more important now than ever to show the world just how special our koalas are and the importance of our crucial breeding program. If this video encourages just one person to donate towards koalas and their protection, then we can say we have spread the love this Valentine’s Day!”

elsa and anna valentines day Australian Reptile Park

The eastern massasauga rattlesnake hatchlings at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

Photo Credit: The Australian Reptile Park

Unfortunately koalas are at risk of extinction as early as 2050. The Australian Reptile Park maintain one of the most successful breeding programs for the koala in New South Wales. Anna and Elsa are among the 40+ koalas which live at the park.

Prior to the fires ravaging Australia in 2019 and 2020 over 90% of koala habitats had already been lost. The remaining 10% is highly fragmented.

In addition to the breeding program at the Australian Reptile Park their charity, Aussie Ark have launched Koala Ark which is responding to the koala’s potential extinction crisis.

elsa and anna valentines day Australian Reptile Park

Elsa and Anna the koala with their valentine’s day themed enrichment at the Australian Reptile Park

Photo Credit: The Australian Reptile Park

Learn more about koalas here – Koala Fact File | The Animal Facts

Learn more about The Australian Reptile Park on their website – The Australian Reptile Park

Most Popular Animal this Week


Credit: Under License

Redbubble Store.

AD

Dalip the Asian Elephant Passes Away Zoo Miami

Zoo Miami Mourn the Passing of Elephant – Dalip 

Land of the Lemurs Monarto Safari Park

Monarto Safari Park Launch Land of the Lemurs Experience 

Ring Tailed Lemur Halloween Fun at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo

Lions and Lemurs Enjoy Halloween Fun at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 

We’re Social. Follow Us

We share awesome animal content daily

Featured Animal

little penguin
Dalip the Asian Elephant Passes Away Zoo Miami
Zoo Miami Mourn the Passing of Elephant – Dalip
Land of the Lemurs Monarto Safari Park
Monarto Safari Park Launch Land of the Lemurs Experience

We’re Social. Follow Us

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap